When you don’t sleep much at night the next day dark shadows appear under your eyes. Where do they come from and what really helps against dark circles? These are our tips.
Dark circles are often a sign of poor sleep and too much stress. Caffeine, potatoes and cucumber can make dark circles disappear naturally, without resorting to makeup.
If you notice severe discoloration or significant puffiness under your eyes, you should see a doctor as a precaution, because bothersome shadows are often a sign of tiredness, but there may be other reasons as well.
WHY DO DARK CIRCLES APPEAR?
The skin under your eyes is the thinnest on the entire body. When we sleep at night, the lymphatic circulation is slower and lymph can accumulate under the eyes. This causes the fine blood vessels in the area to dilate and the skin under the eyes to darken. The most common causes are:
- The lack of sleep
- the stress
- The physical fatigue
- Smoking also makes the skin age, thin and promote the appearance of dark circles.
- Some diseases can present with this symptom.
5 TIPS AGAINST DARK CIRCLES
People who tend to show dark circles due to lack of sleep, when they feel stressed or tired will find effective remedies in the following five tips.
Thank you for watching
Not only does caffeine wake up, it also makes the small blood vessels under the eyes constrict and the dark circles disappear. You can take a little strong black coffee and apply it with your fingers in the eye cup. After ten minutes, rinse with water. You can also soak a soft cloth or cotton pad with coffee and leave it on the eyes with the eyelid closed for 10-15 minutes.
Potatoes have anti-inflammatory and soothing ingredients. Therefore, they can help against dark circles. To do this, finely grate a raw potato and carefully apply it under your eyes. After about 15 minutes, wash them off with lukewarm water.
You can also mix the finely grated raw potato with two tablespoons of water and stir the mixture well. You can soak a cloth or cotton balls in the water and place them over your eyes. After 15 minutes, remove them.
Cucumbers contain a lot of water, but also vitamins and minerals. Cucumber slices over the eyes provide hydration to sensitive skin and have a calming effect. It is best to use organic quality cucumbers, because the peel and its valuable ingredients must remain in contact with the skin.
Place the cucumber slices on clean, closed eyelids for about 15 minutes.
4. THE TRIAD: SLEEP, EXERCISE AND A BALANCED DIET
But, of course, better than any emergency remedy is to lead a lifestyle with enough hours of sleep, relaxation and rest so that the symptom does not appear.
- Getting enough sleep and in the most relaxed way possible effectively prevents dark shadows under the eyes. Therefore, you should not sleep less than seven hours. Proper facial care before going to bed also promotes skin regeneration.
- Exercise activates our circulation and stimulates blood circulation. They both help prevent the development of dark circles in the first place.
- Our diet also influences the formation of dark circles, and a balanced diet prevents them. You must ensure the following nutrients:
- Vitamin C– Found in many types of fruits and vegetables, such as oranges, kiwis, and black currants, as well as steamed bell peppers, spinach, Brussels sprouts, kale, and broccoli.
- Vitamin K –Important for blood clotting, is found in cabbage, green leafy vegetables, and herbs like chives and parsley.
- Zinc: can help against dark circles. It is found in whole grains, nuts, and cheese.
- Iron –Found in wheat bran, millet, oat flakes, and buckwheat, as well as grains and nuts. Take these foods in combination with others rich in vitamin C to promote the assimilation of the mineral.
- Drink enough: preferably water and infusions without sugar. Alcohol, on the other hand, has a negative effect on our sleep and therefore promotes dark circles.
5. PROFESSIONAL ELIMINATION
It is also possible to remove dark circles professionally. Manual or mechanical lymphatic drainage, for example, ensures that tissue fluid, lymph, drains under the eyes and dark circles disappear. However, a specialist is required for such an intervention. An amateur and homemade version of this massage consists of stroking the dark circles with the fingertips, just touching the skin, from the inside out to promote the circulation of lymph.